Saturday, March 23, 2013

Patio Theater Doctor Who Marathon

Mad Girl's Tardis ran a Doctor Who marathon at the Patio Theater for us, on the NW side of Chicago. We voted through facebook what we wanted to see, over the last 45 days or so. This evening we saw on Blue Ray, by popular demand, "End of Time" parts 1 and 2, and "The Doctors Wife".

If you have never been to the Patio Theater, you should go. This is a lovely restored traditional theater, with a big screen, and a 1,000 seating capacity. Not sure if they can pack the house any more given parking these days. However, there is a lot of room to find your own private spot if you will. Tonight, I would estimate we had about 300 Whovians show up for this "free" event. If you chose to, you could offer a donation.

The event was scheduled to start at 9:00 PM. There was a little difficulty getting everyone in, because the RSVP list had to be checked. I arrived about 8:45 and easily found parking.

What was cool for me (and you have to be a Doctor Who fan to perhaps understand, and perhaps had seen these episodes to understand) were the funny parts where everyone laughed. I tend to find myself transfixed when I watch Doctor Who. To have people laugh at the funny parts, allowed me to take it all in; To take in the pleasure Doctor Who brings to people; To take in the writer's and actor's ability to entertain us; To take in what it means to be a Doctor Who fan. I could not help but smile and laugh myself.

Here are some photos of the evening. No flash photography. The majority of the photography is of the Patio Theater. This first photo, Doctor Who fans on the street . . .











The next two photos are of Mad Girl's Tardis. I am jealous . . .




Here is a photo of the theater and large screen, so you get the feel of how cool this was . . .



Between episodes, some give aways for people having the lucky number, and a contest for best costume . . .





And our costume winner . . .



Yes, a lot of photos of the theater. I could not help but be impressed by it. Because of that, I failed to find my friend Stephanie to take some photographs of her and her friend, who both came dressed in costume for the occasion. If we do this again, I will photograph more cosplay.

One cannot forget to thank the BBC. They do a great job protecting their brand name of Doctor Who. The BBC understood this was a simple, free, gathering of fans. We love to bring friends into the family of Doctor Who too. The popularity of the New Season of Doctor Who is still growing. Events like this helps us, the fans, to bond and to strengthen the following of Doctor Who.

Here are some links for you to check out:








No comments: