Saturday, August 10, 2024

National Lampoon's Vacation - Gilmore Car Museum


Are We There Yet?

Dropped off a camera in Michigan at a friends house and decided to go to the Gilmore Car Museum afterward. They have different exhibits throughout the year. This one was "Seeing America From The Family's Station Wagon", with a tribute to National Lampoon's Vacation movie. It struck home in that station wagons were very popular when I was a kid. The first one I remember the family owning was a Pontiac. The last one being a Ford.

I also have a friend at work who enjoys rebuilding his station wagon. I will need to mention this exhibition to him. My understanding is that next month it will be Mustangs!

One question I asked, and the answer was, that approximately 1/3rd of the automobiles at the museum are on loan from collectors. I suspect many of the station wagons on exhibit were owed by collectors and not the museum. It is nice to know that collectors will share their joy with the public.

Given that, here are some photographs for you to enjoy. Note, there are a lot of photographs, and also note that I did not take pictures of every one. Perhaps 65% of what was there. The first photograph is at the rest stop in Michigan, just across the Indiana border. The light house is a bit of an icon for the place.




























The photo below is an exact replica of the Wright Bros Flyer.



the Gnome Mobile!



So, the story goes is that this Gnome Mobile was "used in the filming of Disney's 1967 feature film. This larger than life movie set and car were personal gifts to the Museum found Donald S. Gilmore from Wald Disney himself". Pretty cool stuff. I live history!














This bus reminds me of the one in Harry Potter, less the shrunken head. I am glad it is there every time I go, because it stirs the mind.



























The next photo below was children's training session on how to drive. A B&W movie was shown of kids driving around in small cars through the intersection, learning what it is all about. For me this is a wonderful training tool that should be used today.

















Bride Christi showing off her hair color against the car . . .


. . . and her haircut shaped like the fender. Picture really does not do it justice.



















A Pietenpol Sky Scout home built airplane with a Ford Model A engine. Now you're talking . . .










The diner is pretty cool, and simple. A great Coney Island hot dog can be bought there!






Last but not least, when we left a Rat Rod was parked at the entrance. I love creativity!





Gilmore Car Museum
6865 Hickory Road
Hickory Corners, MI 49060
269.671.5089



Afterward we took advantage of the nearby Kalamazoo Nature Center. The bride, Christi, took better photographs, so I will not embarrass myself with all of mine mine. Here are two, only two, count . . . 2. Okay, there are 3.





_________________________________________________________________

You can see a categorized thumbnail of all my blogs by going to StreetPhoto.Me.

Further down this blog post are five buttons to click on: E-mail this, Blog this, Share to Twitter, Share to Facebook, and Share to Pinterest. Please take advantage of them and share this blog post with your friends.

The "219 Music™" and "219 Art" are owned trademarks of Wes Bushby.

No comments: