Saturday, September 29, 2012

My NW Indiana - It's Just Serendipity



The NW Indiana region is alive.  Unfortunately, we sometimes do not stop and look.  This was my original purpose of blogging, to bring the "unseen" to you, so that you can go see.

In one of my blogs this year, I wrote about NW Indiana, Hammond in particular, becoming the hub of art.  We are dripping with talent here.  It use to be, the surrounding suburbs of Chicago would always travel into Chicago to find what they wanted.  Whether music, theatre, clothing, or food.  Yes, there was also the "experience" that we wrapped ourselves in and enjoyed, that attracted us to Chicago.

Soon, and I do not know exactly when, but soon, people from Chicago will be coming to NW Indiana, and specifically Hammond IN, to enjoy time "away" from the city.  To enjoy music, theatre, clothing, or food.  I can feel it in the air I breath.  There is an excitement brewing!

Thanks to you, the people, friends, who read my blog, I was asked to visit another shop in Hammond.  "It's Just Serendipity", or Serendipity as I will use in this blog.  They are located on Hohman Ave, just a few blocks from downtown Hammond.  Serendipity specializes in everything old, brought to new, re-purposed in some cases, and from local people.  Everything is clean, neat, organized, and there is a little bit of everything.  This is just not a shop to browse.  There is a feeling of "home" here.

Let me take you through some photos to get you familiar with Serendipity.  I am not sure my photos will do them justice, however, if it gets you to go inside, then I have done my job.




As you walk in the door (photo above), there are some chairs and vintage glassware.  Here you will find business cards of all the local shops.  This is why I like the city of Hammond, the businesses in Hammond.  They support each other.  It is not just Serendipity that does this.  I see this at the Towle Theater, Paul Henry's, Blue Room Cafe.  It is all around.  I will venture to say, you can walk into any shop in Hammond and ask where to find something, and the shop will have the answer.


In the photo above, I recognized the "Horizons" brochure, for the photography exhibit that is running until this coming Sunday.  How do I know????   I have a photograph on exhibit there!!!!!





This next photo is a basket holding some hand made mittens made by a mother and daughter from our area.






This next photo shows products made by our local NW Indiana community.





Halloween is coming up . . . check Serendipity out for your seasonal shopping!



Serendipity has a little of everything.  A lot of Beatles, a lot of vintage, and a lot of innovative / recycled / re-purposed / and home made within our region.  Personally, I loved the old suit cases, Beatles everything (for Pete Calacci), and hats (for Lou Shields).  Things change over, because this is not today's "reproduction" stuff.  You can consider it one-of-a-kind, because it is vintage.  You can even help out.  Should you find yourself wanting to part with something, give Serendipity a call.

It is true, Internet shopping is very big.  You can find what you want without leaving the comfort of your home.  You can go into Chicago for an experience, however, how consistent is that experience, and is it what you hoped it would be?  We do need to support our region if we want it to grow.  We need to "stop and smell the experience" as it were.  Just do not drive by like I do.  Stop, ask, buy.

I have another blog entry to do today as well, on Lou Shields and the farmers market in Highland.  If you get a chance, look it up.

Thank you Karen Maravilla for letting me take photos of It's Just Serendipity.  Thank you Community for letting me know about this place.  And I will write, You Are Welcome, should you choose to check Serendipity out.

It's Just Serendipity
5630 Hohman Ave.
Hammond, IN  46320
(219) 932-6328

Thursday and Friday - 10am to 6pm
Saturday - 10am to 4pm
Closed - Sunday thru Wednesday



No comments: