Friday, July 19, 2013

Lightsense - Zhou B Art Center

This exhibit is cool. You should make some time to go see it. The Lightsense exhibition, like other exhibits at the Zhou B Art Center, are to challenge the artist and their understanding of the environment that surrounds them. Artists for this event looked at emerging technologies, experimented, adapted to or made new their art.

Here are some photos of the 3rd Friday of the month opening at the Zhou B Art Center.



Ever since I went to listen to the discussion panel with the Chicago Twelve at the Garfield Park Conservatory, I became an admirer of Yva Neal's work. Watching her over these past several months, I have become intrigued with her mind, how she sees, interprets, gives back. These next set of photos are of her Lightsense show on the first floor.






















This next exhibit was like a light harp. I believe there was a color sensor, that when people walked by, the colors of the people would play sound for those colors, and the strings on the harp would light accordingly. I had fun playing with it. (I also could have it all wrong . . . still pretty cool.)






This next photo is of a miniature Chicago, simulating I believe the morning, day, and night. Very detailed and technical.



Pull!!!!!!! This next exhibit is located on the second floor. Pulleys and rope connect one side of the exhibit to the other. Give a pull on almost any hand grab you can find, and something happens. I tried to do it all myself, pulling and taking photos, and I failed. This takes a group of people to interact with this exhibit, to bring it to life, to sing and dance a song . . . and with me standing behind you to photograph!






In some of the other areas, other floors, artists had on exhibit Their art, such as seen in these next few photos.








The 4Art Studio on the 4th floor. Friends Brabant and Ryan were there. I had a chance to play a little with Robin's X-rays by putting my hand in front of my camera and photographing her work.












This next exhibit was cool. With the light shining from the bottom you see the first image. When you switched the light to the side, you see the second image.




Back to the 1st floor with light rods. The arrangement was simple, but when you walked around and inside it, it was fabulous. In some ways it reminded me of the Twilight Zone.










As usual, the Zhou B Art Center is spectacular. The variety of artists, art of all forms, intelligence in art, surpasses anything I have seen. These artist truly enjoy their work. They enjoy you coming to see. They enjoy talking about their art. Not themselves. Their art. For it is all about the art.

Lightsense is curated by Sergio Gomez. The exhibit will be around for everyone to see through August 11th. Do yourself a favor and go see.


1029 West 35th Street
Chicago, IL 60609
(773) 523-0200




Click on this line and read my copyright.

No comments: