Sunday, September 15, 2013

Illiana Derby Dames vs. Aurora 88s . . . Roller Derby People!!!!

Roller derby is cool. Like Doctor Who bow ties and fezzes. You know why? Because these ladies lay it on the line. This is a very physical sport. You use a lot of muscles you do not normally use in every day life. These ladies are athletes. And they do it for free. They do it for a cause. They do it because it means something to them on a personal level. And I go to see them because I appreciate what they are giving, and wish to acknowledge that I am grateful for who each of them individually are.

So, to best acknowledge these ladies, I choose photography, and of course attending their bouts. Tonight our Illiana Derby Dames took on the Aurora 88s here at home. I will save you scrolling down to the bottom to see who won . . . the Aurora 88s did. It was a fierce battle, and I do mean battle.  All the way to the end. For a long time our Illiana Derby Dames kept the lead. In the end, the Aurora 88s plan worked and they inched back, and went ahead of us.

As they say, this is a full contact sport. I adore each of these ladies. They have heart, spirit, a determination. That determination is left on the floor. It shows. There were some excellent jams. Some strong take downs which I failed to get a photograph of. Some injuries, which I do not want to get a photograph of. Again, this is a full contact sport. It is very physical. These ladies may look like your child hood sweetheart next door when off track. When on track, they will leave tread marks on your back.

Here are some photos of the evening.  Please note, this is probably the worse photo set I have taken.  I do apologize.  I experimented some and the results were not what I was expecting.  Good point is, I have learned.  Enjoy!!!!

Pre-bout warm ups, Aurora 88s . . .

















Pre-game warm ups, Illiana Derby Dames . . .





Somewhat of a strange shot below. I know how it happened. There are several more that I am putting in here just for fun.






















Introductions, Aurora 88s . . .






Introductions, Illiana Derby Dames . . .








Pre-jam for the public, to explain how this works (once around the track) . . .





Now we begin!!! The fight for supremacy begins . . . or, their passion to roller derby knocking the other team on their bum . . .















































Half time show . . . air guitar contest . . .













Second half. This is where I found out, going through these photos, that my camera setting changed. That is what I get for not double checking. So, the second half photos are few, and not so good.  Some of the oddly no good I have put in because they are still interesting to see, like this next photo.






















































The thanking of the teams who played. Thank you Illiana Derby Dames for an enjoyable evening.












I had a suicide seat for a little while. Perhaps I was hoping for one of these gals to fall in my lap so I could take her home. (You gotta love them.)  No luck.  What I did obtain, was a lot of individual respect for these ladies. They are athletes.

Here is a link for you to check out. Go see a bout, get hooked. You will then want to show appreciation and go again, and again, and again . . .


Illiana Derby Dames


Also, check out Steve Jurkovic's photos . . . they are superb!!!


1 comment:

Purl Evol said...

What a great write up! Made me even more proud to be part of such an amazing team! Thank you! Love the pictures! I'm really glad you had a good time :-)