Friday, May 3, 2024

The Spider Or The Fly? - Towle Theater


Thriller - By Sam Bobrick
Presented through special arrangement with Concord Theatricals.


I don’t think I can write about this play. Well, better stated, I don’t think I should write about this play. For if I did, I then become part of this play. Well, better stated, I then follow in the footsteps of the writer who intended us to do/write what I just did. Funny.

If you do not know already, I write from my lens, what I see, my point of view. I am not a writer, or at least I never studied to be one. I can picture a writer as coming up with an idea, then morphing it, to stretch it, to test boundaries, just to see how far one can write in any one direction. If you are lucky you find a path that makes for a good read. A thriller if you will.

I can also picture many trials and error. (I hear clanking of the typewriter keys, yanking of paper form the carriage with the zip sound, a wadding/crinkling of paper, and the sound in the garbage can.) You keep changing the characters domineer just to see what comes out of it. Then pop back because that didn’t go anywhere. Perhaps develop other characters with their own traits and try writing it for them. You might accidently, or on purpose, mix the different characters/story streams just to see what happens. Hmm, looks intriguing.

But don’t forget about the original plot. No matter how you write the characters they need to stick to the plot. We need a theme. But if it is multiple characters/story streams, can it be the same theme? The theme needs a title to match.


Okay, back to business. This play was indeed a thriller. You may catch onto some of it as it presents, yet you will find out you still really don't know what is happening. How can this be happening? Sort of shakes you in your shoes. 

Your take on this will be totally different than mine. Some may focus on the storyline, some on a specific character, some from just the opening of the first scene. While others perhaps similar to me, may focus on the writer wondering how schizoid he may have been when he wrote this. Of course we will hold our ground with our own belief, even if it kills us. Things that make you go Hmmm.

The cast really pulled this off. You sort of wonder how they accomplished this without having any side-affects. There was a Talk Back Q&A after the technical rehearsal with students who attended. This is where I learned how they did it, and had to admire their given/learned talent even more. They are truly special.

Cast

Mary Margaret McCormack – as Maura

Martin Downs – as Scott

Allie Charton – as Jan

Jimmy Rau – as Tom



















































































Talk Back Q&A




Lead Show Sponsor
Calumet College of St. Joseph


Production Staff

Director – Jeff Casey

Assistant to the Director – Nora Wragg

Stage Manager – Max Mayhew-Martin

Fight Choreographer – RJ Cecott

Lighting Design – Jeff Casey

Set/Costume Designer – Kevin Bellamy



Towle Theater
5205 Hohman Ave.
Hammond, IN 46320
(219) 937-8780



__________________________________________________________

You can see a categorized thumbnail of all Towle Theater related blogs by going to StreetPhoto.Me.

Further down this blog post are five buttons to click on: E-mail this, Blog this, Share to Twitter, Share to Facebook, and Share to Pinterest. Please take advantage of them and share this blog post with your friends.

The "219 Music" and "219 Artare owned trademarks of Wes Bushby.

No comments: