Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Who Prov - at Donny's Skybox

I have never been to an improv. I have never been to The Second City. I enjoy Doctor Who whenever I can get it. Wrap it all together, and you have Who Prov at The Second City, as cool as fezzes and bow ties . . . that's all I have to say about that.

When I think of improv I am not stricken by a thought or feeling.  However, thinking of improv and The Second City together, now that stirs some good vibes. I remember John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Jim Belushi, Bill Murray, Gilda Radner, John Candy, Chris Farley, Tina Fey, and the fun they gave me.


When the Who Prov started, I first questioned "what is this?" After I took a few photos I stopped to watch, and listen to what was going on. Then it all clicked. Just like a light switch turning on the lights.

When I watched the actors in Who Prov, their style, charisma, the need to express, it brought up fond memories of each of the great actors I mentioned above. These 10 Who Prov actors, brought to me the life of those at The Second City before them.  A tough act to follow, one that you do not treat lightly, one you treat with respect, and one that these fab 10 did very well to uphold.  Let me introduce them to you, in no particular order other than how I photographed them . . .

 Keenan Camp


 Logan Dean


 Ryan Perisin


 Stephen Kropa


 C.J. Tuor


 Courtney Fontaine


 Karen Gillespie


 Byron Roussin (SFX)


 Mel Evans


 Brit Belsheim


"You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Who Prov!" 

Okay, I took that from the Twilight Zone Introduction, and substituted Who Prov at the end. My doing, though I thought it appropriate given the layering of another Sci-Fi with Doctor Who. At least in this improv, there were many d(D)octors in the house, furry bears, light sabers, . . .

Here are the photos from this evening . . . enjoy!!!!





























































































Doctor Who music now plays, everyone runs, and runs, and runs . . . you understand, right . . .










Stephanie McCullough, thank you for letting me photograph!!!!!!!!




They say, a picture is worth a thousand words. I have a lot of photos, and they will not be worth the words. You need to go see the improv.  

I will no longer draw a blank when I hear the word improv . . . I will think of Who Prov, and those before them.  Check it out.

Oh, one other note.  Feel free to come dressed as your favorite Doctor Who character, monster, whatever.  I think they would like that.


Who Prov

Friday's at 7:30

May 31 thru June 21, 2013

Donny's Skybox
1608 N Wells St.
Chicago, IL  60610
(312) 337-3992


$13 for tickets


Oh, I feel the need, the need for expression: "Think inside the TARDIS" - Wes Bushby; "Have TARDIS Will Travel" - Wes Bushby; "Carpe diem . . . contribute to the play of life." - Wes Bushby

No comments: