Saturday, July 13, 2024

Wes' Excellent Adventure XI



My intent was to drive to the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) Chapter 104 pancake breakfast at the Valparaiso airport (KVPZ with a 7,000 ft. runway), in the hopes to see some experimental aircraft, along with the CAF visit WWII plane show. Saw everything but the experimental aircraft. (I did leave early.)

I have been an EAA member for some time, member #84624. I think the membership is in the millions now. My dad, sort of a co-founder, was #26. I do miss this type of aviation, and the old days of EAA. The EAA Chapter I had belonged to back in the day was Chapter 95, when it was located on the family farm (87IL with an 1,800 ft. sod runway).

Today I saw "FIFI", a B-29. I have seen her plenty of times, and it does not seem to get old. They were selling their WWII merchandise at the flight line. A lot of merch there, very interesting, and if I did not have a connection to a specific plane I would have bought a lot. However, my dad was a flight engineer on a B-17 near the end of WWII in the Philippines. 

Many years ago the "Aluminum Overcast" B-17 stopped at the Lewis Airport (KLOT with a 6,500 ft. runway). Here, my dad, I, and my son attended and my son and I hopped a ride. Obviously I paid for it to support the maintenance of the aircraft, and I donated extra money. For that I was able to obtain a real U.S. Air Force jacket with our family name patch, an air force patch, and the Aluminum Overcast patch both back (large) and front (small). I mention all of this because today I was able to buy a B-17 pin along with a U.S. Air Force Flight Engineer Wings pin.



Now I have to find out where they can properly go on the jacket.

The first few photos are of this event, followed by another event I happened to stumble upon. This first photo is of a couple radio controlled (RC) airplanes. I typically would not have photographed them, but the Aeronca Champ (yellow / red one in the back) brought back memories of our private airstrip which was plenty of runway to fly our Mustang II experimental aircraft to fly in and out of [even over the tree at the North end]). Our airstrip was the second restricted landing area granted in the state of Illinois. My cousin flies his Champ out of there now.






People lining up to board FIFI for a "paid to fly" flight. Unfortunately I cannot do that because I am not able to walk up the ladder, otherwise I might have considered it. (Fell off the ladder a couple years ago and permanently damaged my ankle . . . sucks.)











Rita started first, then Betty was to go next (both starboard) but incurred some long start issues and had to wait. (Yes, the engines are named.) So, Ingrid and Mitzi were started on the Port side second and third, then they came back to Betty who did not argue this time. (Puff of smoke from oil is Betty.)












The next set of photographs are of an unscheduled stop at the Highland Elks Lodge 981 Classic Car Show. Their very first, and I must say they had some pretty nice rides showing. I saw a person from the Griffith Fire Department placing flyers in each of the cars for their upcoming car show. Sort of got me thinking about the weekly Monday Blues Cruise happening in Hammond on Fayette that started this year (takes place every Monday). I think I need to keep some flyers handy to pass out.

Here are some photographs . . .







You know, if one was to attend a car show and photograph, you would think one would remember to photograph the car and not just the engine. Below is the engine of a 1938 Lincoln Limo, 1 of 5 left, from Whiting Indiana.






Yes, a real Yenko/SC . . . the first one I have ever seen in person. A very sweet ride.






And I have always liked Impalas . . .



























_________________________________________________________________

You can see a categorized thumbnail of all my blogs by going to StreetPhoto.Me.

Further down this blog post are five buttons to click on: E-mail this, Blog this, Share to Twitter, Share to Facebook, and Share to Pinterest. Please take advantage of them and share this blog post with your friends.

The "219 Music™" and "219 Art" are owned trademarks of Wes Bushby.

No comments: